- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees
- Grease and paper line two 20cm sponge tins.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a large heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs, coconut sugar, vanilla powder and maple until thick and light (about 5 minutes).
- Fold in the buckwheat flour, almond meal, cacao powder, bi-carb, baking powder and sea salt.
- Next fold in the grated beetroot, almond milk and melted chocolate, and mix gently until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tins and bake for about 1 hour.
- Once the cakes are cooked remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
*If you are planning on frosting the cakes relatively quickly, place them into the freezer for about an hour or until completely cool.
To Assemble the Cake
- Ensure the cakes are completely cold before frosting (this will prevent any melted frosting disasters).
- Place the first cake layer onto your serving plate then scoop a couple of large spoonfuls of frosting onto the cake and smooth with the back of a spoon or a frosting spatular.
- Place the second cake on top then add more frosting to the top of the second layer and around the sides of the now 2 layered cake.
- Smooth the frosting around the cake with a tall frosting spatular until smooth.
- Decorate with dried beets, pretty flowers and foliage or some flaked chocolate. Enjoy!