1. It's important to select a coconut milk that's creamy and smooth (not grainy or clumpy) to ensure that the yogurt is creamy and smooth.
2. Shake your coconut milk well. Then open and pour into a clean, dry glass jar or bowl. Sometimes the coconut milk is separated, so I take a whisk and get it completely smooth.
3. Empty your probiotic capsules into the yogurt and (important:) use a wooden spoon to stir, not metal as a metal spoon can react negatively with the probiotics. Stir until creamy and smooth, pushing the probiotic up against the side with your spoon to evenly disperse.
4. Cover the mixture with cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band.
5. Let the yogurt activate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours (sometimes longer - 48 hour is my sweet spot for thickness and tang) in a warm place. The longer it rests, the tangier the yogurt will become.
6.That's it! Once the yogurt has reached the right amount of tanginess and thickness for your liking (be sure to sample with a wooden spoon), cover securely with a lid and refrigerate until cold. Refrigerating will also thicken the yogurt even more, almost to a Greek yogurt consistency (depending on the brand of coconut milk you used)! For even thicker yogurt, line a fine mesh strainer with two layers of cheesecloth and set over a mixing bowl. Pour in the yogurt, then loosely cover with a lid or wrap and let rest in the refrigerator overnight or for 12+ hours. It should thicken up quite a bit more.
7. You have coconut yogurt, which can be enjoyed plain as I prefer it, with fruit, or even with fruit compote. You can also add a bit of sweetener or flavour at this point, such as maple syrup and/or vanilla extract.
8. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to several days (mine kept for 7 days).