Product Description: Blueberries are roundish, about the size of a marble, with a smooth skin covered in a fine, white powder or ‘bloom’. Blueberries flesh is bluish and contains very small seeds. Blueberries were once known as ‘star-berries’ because of the star-shaped calyx on the top of our heads. Blueberries are totally edible - seeds, calyx and all. General facts
- Blueberries belong to the Ericaceae family, genus Vaccinium – a large family of woody shrubs that loves acidic soils and can be found throughout the world.
- The blueberry is the most famous – and tasty – berry in the Vaccinium genus. Others you may have heard of include the bilberry, cranberry and ligonberry. Then there are the sparkleberry, farkleberry, whortleberry and partridgeberry. Imagine adding a handful of farkleberries to your muesli each morning!
- Blueberries have three common varieties: lowbush, highbush and rabbiteye.
- Lowbush blueberries – This variety, which produces a big harvest of intensely flavoured blueberries, is not grown in Australia’s milder climate. It thrives in colder climates in the northern hemisphere.
- Highbush blueberries – This is the most common variety in Australia, with many cultivars suited to the Australian climate. The two most popular cultivars grown here are the Northern Highbush and the Southern Highbush. Just to confuse things, the Northern Highbush is grown in Victorian, Tasmania and Southern NSW; while the Southern Highbush is grown in milder regions like Northern NSW and Southern Queensland.
- Rabbiteye blueberries – This is another late season variety, which can endure warm and humid summers and tolerate dry conditions like no other, making it right at home in Northern NSW and Queensland. Its name comes from the calyx, which when ripening looks just like little rabbit eyes looking back at you.
Fresh Blueberries. Homefresh Organics, Certified organic Online Shopping Made Easy in our Organic Store. Home delivering Organic and other health food products to your door. Also stocking products that are vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, nut free, wheat free, BPA free and many other food intolerance products.